Databases: Stop Words
- Stop words are small words that
- Not indexed.
- Not searched on
- Typically, they are
- Boolean operators
- Articles and other common
an, in, of, on, to, the)
- The list varies upon how the
searching is being conducted
- Normally, the software ignores
the stop words even if you enter them.
- As an extension of this, you
can not search for a stop word by itself.
- But, if you are searching for a
phrase that contains a stop word, the database software will also
find other phrases with other words in the place where the stop
- Example: A search for
cat" will also find "feed